Friends, as we continue moving through the pandemic that has affected every single country on the planet, none of us are immune to the stories scattered daily throughout television and the internet, tales of horror, and loss of hope. However, through Christ and his people, the church, we are also seeing hope rekindled in new and amazing ways. A hope that not only gives us strength for the day, but the anticipation that makes each day coming more precious and filled with confidence. A realization that God is still in control, sending his people to change the world through the love of Jesus in whatever means that they can.
It is in that hope that we share this incredible story from Pucusana, Peru, and our partners Elena Prado and Allison Wallace founder of the Pucusana Project.
We need you to give now, and support the incredible work that our Brethren Global Partners are doing all over the world. Click here and support these front-line Gospel carriers!
"Covid-19 has sent almost every country into a panic around the world, but for some, protection against the virus have created an even worse enemy. Starvation has become a very real threat for most impoverished communities around the globe.
The Pucusana Project works in a small fishing village on the coast of Peru. After a month of strict quarantine rules, starvation began in Pucusana's poorest area called the barrios. Money vouchers and food was distributed by the local government to the families who were registered on the 2017 census. This covered only 43% of the barrio population, leaving 57% with nothing. After a month of quarantine, over 6,000 people were starting to starve.
Just outside the barrios, along the beachfront, are multi-million-dollar homes and hotels. For decades, the wealthy community that lives there has been at odds with the barrio people. For a number of reasons, these two communities discriminate against each other and have never gotten along, but the Covid-19 pandemic does not discriminate. Everyone is feeling the effects of this virus.
The Pucusana Project was contacted by some of the most prominent leaders of the wealthy neighborhoods in the effort to help feed the starving families in the barrios. For the first time in 50 years, the majority of the people in the wealthy neighborhood associations (similar to HOA
's) worked together to help obtain food for the poor right outside their gates. They reached out to our local, partner nonprofit to help bridge the gap between them and the barrio leaders in order to actually distribute the food.
Between us, our partner nonprofit, the wealthy neighborhood HOA's, the local government, and the barrio leaders, we have been able to start feeding the starving 6,000 for the next few weeks.